Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A star was born at gymnastics yesterday

So my toddler, Cashew (2 1/2) had her first gymnastics class yesterday. She has A TON of energy and has been a dare-devil from birth, so I knew the class would be good for her.

We got there on-time, and sat in the forming circle with the teacher. The teacher showed us the "stations" and let each kid go through the stations once before letting them just run around and do whichever station was their favorite, over and over. One of the stations was to do a somersault down a cushion wedge. Another was to walk along a line, simulating a balance beam. You get the picture.

One of the stations was a trampoline (a little shout out to Auntie A... she remembered your house and the fun trampoline!) There was another mom there with her toddler. This toddler was dressed in a full gymnastics outfit (Cashew was in just shorts and a t-shirt.) The mom asked me how long Cashew had been in gymnastics. I told her it was our first class. She then told me that her daughter had been in gymnastics since she was 13 months old. Wow, I said.

This stage mom then said to her daughter on the trampoline, "Honey, show this nice little girl how you do your drop sits." And the gymnastics girl was jumping, fell to her bottom, and then returned to her feet. Nice.

Then the stage mom said, "Honey, now show this girl how you do your knee drop." Then the gymnastics girl dropped to her knees and then quickly returned to her feet. Beautiful.

Cashew was watching closely and after the gymnastics girl finished showing off her moves, she started jumping, then dropped to her bottom, did a few log rolls all while screaming like a maniac, then did a couple of "angels in the snow" then returned to her feet. I thought she did a great job!

THEN, the gymnastics girl started imitating Cashew, much to the stage mom's horror. It was like Cashew was un-doing all the technique this girl had learned since she was 13 months old!

I was so proud. And of course, I was laughing my ass off. How seriously can you take toddler gymnastics, really?!?!

6 comments:

tree said...

Cashew is a natural

Anonymous said...

We always knew she had no fear.

Anonymous said...

I saw her do those moves this summer, a real gymnast.

B as u r said...

My trampoline story was when our youngest was grounded from the trampoline when she was 3...she would run across the mat so fast and not be able to stop and would disappear from sight off the other edge. We decided that before she broke her leg or worse...we had to put a stop to it!!!
I alway knew Cashew would know how to put the riffraff in their place!

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

I can not believe you have not had Cashew try out for the olympics I am shocked!

What the heck is wrong with parents why can they just not let kids be kids.

I totally would have been laughing with you at that lady!

I bet Cashew was great!

Anonymous said...

How can anyone be in gymnastics at 13 months....

Angela